Confined Space Training including Rescue
Unit Standard ID: 260139. NQF level: 5; Credits: 5
When you are competent in this unit standard, you will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of safe working practices in confined spaces
- select and operate equipment for rescues from confined spaces
- carry out a rescue in a confined space
- conduct briefings and compile reports.
At the end of this course, you must be able to demonstrate your knowledge and skill of the following:
- Understand the concept of confined spaces and the roles and responsibilities of the employee and the employer.
- Identify the hazards that are found in confined spaces and describe ways of isolating them and protecting employees.
- Describe how atmospheric and environmental conditions are monitored in order to create safe working conditions.
- Identify and describe the personal protective equipment (PPE) used in confined spaces.
- Explain the importance of having continuous and uninterrupted voice contact with employees working in confined spaces.
- Describe the standard operating procedure (SOP) for entry into a confined space.
- Describe an emergency rescue plan, emphasising the equipment and resources required to perform a rescue.
- Demonstrate the emergency rescue procedure in order to safely evacuate casualties.
- Demonstrate the briefing and de-briefing process, as well as compiling an incident report.
- Outline the importance of training and identify the training programmes that should be completed by employees who work in confined spaces and especially emergency rescue personnel.
This is a full 2-day course including the practical session scheduled for the second day.
- Assessment is done by Self, Peer and Facilitator evaluation throughout the course
- The Learner will complete a P.O.E. (Portfolio of Evidence) that will be submitted, assessed and internally moderated before a competency certificate is issued.